I’m not going to lie, I have never made macaroni and cheese from scratch until I spent this last Thanksgiving with a couple of my girlfriends and my life was changed forever.
I grew up on Kraft Mac n Cheese type products as I’m sure many other non-soul food having ass families did. (Thanks mom.) A delicious combination of boxed macaroni with a powder that you add milk to and call it cheese….Pretty basic but it served its purpose, or so I thought it did until my girl showed me the light. From then on, nothing was the same.
I don’t think I can even look at boxed macaroni and cheese after eating this dish and making it for myself. It is everything mac n cheese should be: layers of pasta and real cheese that bubbles up in the oven that just makes your mouth water on sight.
Everyone needs to experience this at least once:
5 Cheese Mac
1 Box Cooked Elbow Noodles (Can be any type of pasta)
1 Can Evaporated Milk
½ Cup Sour Cream
2 Tbps Lawry’s Seasoning
Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
5 Kinds of Cheese, cut up into pieces
- Cook pasta noodles and drain in a strainer. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine milk, sour cream, seasoning and eggs together in a bowl.
- Pour mixture over cooked and drained pasta and coat completely.
- Spray a 13×9 inch deep baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour half of the cooked pasta into the dish in an even layer.
- Cover pasta with 5 kinds of cheeses until you can’t see the pasta at all.
- Pour remaining coated pasta over the layer of cheese and top with remaining cheese until pasta is completely covered.
- Spray a sheet of tin foil with cooking spray and cover macaroni. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes covered. Uncover and bake until top layer is slightly browned and bubbling, about 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy!
Makes about 8-10 servings and you will probably try to eat the entire dish on your own.
Click here to download this recipe!