Lasagna is one of those dishes that everyone loves….Pasta, Meat, Cheese and Tomato Sauce: Always a winning combination. For those who love vegetables like I do, substituting zucchini for pasta noodles is never a bad idea.
This recipe does have a meat sauce, but you could always cook it without any meat.
I suggest cutting this lasagna with a pizza cutter to cut all layers of the lasagna completely! This is messy but delicious!
1 Lb Sweet Italian Sausage
1 Lb Ground Beef
½ Cup Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) Can Crushed Tomatoes
2 (6 oz) Cans Tomato Paste
2 (8 oz) Cans Tomato Sauce
¼ Cup Water
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 ½ Tsp Dried Basil
½ Tsp Fennel Seeds
1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
1 ¼ Tbsp Sea Salt
Dash Black Pepper
4 Tbsp Chopped Parsley, fresh
15 oz Ricotta Cheese
1 Lb Mozzarella Cheese
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic and brown until completely cooked.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, sugar, basil, fennel, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon of the salt, pepper and just half of the chopped parsley.
- Cover and simmer on low for at least 10 minutes (Can simmer for up to an hour with occasional stirring, if desired.).
- Peel zucchini. With a slicer, slice zucchini lengthwise with desired thickness. The thicker you slice, the more zucchini you will need.
- Mix the ricotta cheese, egg, remaining half of the parsley and salt in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Start layering the 9×13 inch baking dish with about 1 ½ cup of the meat sauce. Place one layer of zucchini noodles on top of the meat sauce followed by ½ of the ricotta mix. Layer with 1/3 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the parmesan.
- Repeat step 7 to make a second layer then top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Spray a piece of tin foil with cooking spray and cover lasagna.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes covered followed by 25 minutes uncovered, or until top layer is slightly browned. Enjoy!
Makes about 8-10 servings! Perfect for left overs.
Click here to download this recipe!